Unhappy 4 x great-grandmother who died as a baby ...

A girl baptised Mary to Charles Keeton of Metheringham and his wife, Mary, née Sewell, in 1776 either died in 1777, aged less than a year, or, as one of my 4 x great-grandmothers went on to marry and have children, dying in 1858 and clearly stating in 1851 that she was born in Metheringham.

The vicar carelessly left off the dead baby Mary's parents' names, so that I can not be sure which family she belonged to, except that I can find no other Mary Keeton births in the locality at the right time, and none which would fit my ancestress, either. The burial record has only just come to my notice, but if it isn't her, how come I exist?

Does anyone have an explanation, please?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Ancestry say Mary Keeton b 1776 parents Charles & Mary
    death in 1776 father Richard unfortunately only Transcripts no images but may help you decide

other thing is often another child is given same name as one who died

Unhappy

Thank you for that glimmer of hope, sandiep

I looked up siblings of Mary in case there was another Mary (some public trees on Ancestry have a Mary Ann) and found that Charles and his wife were very unlucky:

Marriage: 15 Jun 1770 in Metheringham, Lincolnshire, followed by:

Matthew, baptised Jan 1771, died April 1771
    Charles, baptised Jan 1774, died September 1775
    Martha, baptised March 1781, died February 1789

and this from Ancestry:

Name: Mary Keeton
    Baptism Date: 16 Aug 1776
    Baptism Place: Metheringham, Lincoln, England
    Death Date: 3 Apr 1777
    Father: Charles Keeton
    Mother: Mary

Findmypast has the original image for the burial, which simply says, under Burials in 1777,
    Mary Keeton (an Infant) was buried April 3rd

Logically, therefore, I, my sister, my cousins and my maternal line are a figment of my imagination

I have just looked up the four baptism/burials again and the minister systematically gives the parents for a baptism, but just the baby's/infant's/child's name for a burial, even for Matthew who was only a couple of months old!

Famous for offering help & advice

Who did your grandmother marry,where and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelawagster View Post
    Who did your grandmother marry, where and when?
    Mary Keeton married William Garland in St Wilfred's Church in Metheringham on 25 September 1806 when she was 30 and he was 21.

They are on the 1841 and 1851 Census together in New Sleaford; in 1851 Mary has given her place of birth as Metheringham. Mary died on 26 November 1858 in New Sleaford, and William on 19 April 1871. They were both buried in St Denys's churchyard.