Loves to help with queries

Default looking for Betsy Simson 1793

Dear all, bakc with a question, have looked on British sites, no data: not sure this woman is Jewish but she married one:

Name: full Elisabeth Meijer Simson, also named Betsy/Betsi
    Last name: SIMSON
    Born London 1793/1794, at least that is presumed
    Since did not find wedding papers that year is not yet determined.

She marrie dmy family Hijman Lazarus Vrieslander, born Friedrichstadt year prob. 1782, year marriage not known somewhere between 1810 and 1815, place unknown, they lived in Edam and Purmerend. He died 1834, she 1836 in Purmerend, he died Den Helder.
    They had 7 kids,oldest one born Helgoland, Germany. Some children got family name Lazarus not Vrieslander.

Hope you can find me the English connection such as year of birth, parents, maybe date gone to Holland etc.
    Thanska s always for your kind replies, bets regards, Paul

Paul
    This is not going to be an easy search. There are 6 Ancestry Family trees with Betsy Meijer Simson but none have data on her parents. There are Simson who appear on Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts but insufficient data to identify a Betsy aka Elizabeth. There are no comparable records for a birth.Similarly, JewishGen UK Data base has Simson names but too little data to link lines. There are also Simson in New York Jewish records. There is a Mozes Simson burial 1826 Middleburg but no data to link him further.

I noted on one Netherland record that Betsy's maiden name was Meijer. Does that mean we need to look at this name as a surname?

For other researchers there is a Netherlands death record which shows Betsy Simson age 42 b abt 1794 London Death 26 January 1836 Death Purmerend.

I have also noted that in some cases Simson and Sampson last names have been interchangeable - this suggests a possible wider look at surnames.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Paul
    Do you remember us discussing the issues relating to Jewish birth and marriage records pre 1837. You need to note the Hardwicke Marriage Act 1753 and Marriage Act 1823 which exempted Jews and Quakers from the provisions. This meant that marriage records (Ketubah) were given to the bride and unless kept in the family or by the synagogue would not be recorded in civil records until after 1837 but even then this was not universal.
    Similarly, birth/baptism records were not recorded as Christian records unless in very rare circumstances circumcision records - no such records for Jewish girls. In short, the chances of locating birth records for Betsy/Elizabeth unless she was not Jewish or else there is a family personal record are virtually impossible.

The lack of records for those leaving the UK for the continent are also very rare- we also discussed this in previous threads.

By the way, can we assume that Betsy/Elizabeth was born to a Jewish family?

Loves to help with queries

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Paul
    This is not going to be an easy search. There are 6 Ancestry Family trees with Betsy Meijer Simson but none have data on her parents. There are Simson who appear on Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts but insufficient data to identify a Betsy aka Elizabeth. There are no comparable records for a birth.Similarly, JewishGen UK Data base has Simson names but too little data to link lines. There are also Simson in New York Jewish records. There is a Mozes Simson burial 1826 Middleburg but no data to link him further.

I noted on one Netherland record that Betsy's maiden name was Meijer. Does that mean we need to look at this name as a surname?

For other researchers there is a Netherlands death record which shows Betsy Simson age 42 b abt 1794 London Death 26 January 1836 Death Purmerend.

I have also noted that in some cases Simson and Sampson last names have been interchangeable - this suggests a possible wider look at surnames.
    Dear Philip, hope this finds you well. Thought I would hear from you.
    Meanwhile I am hoping to get some documents to her weding(we call huwelijksbijlagen, marriage attachments, which might clarify more about her.On her death certificate she is named Betsy Simson and 42 which would make her born 1794, born in UK.
    At wedding of daughter Sophia she is named Betje Simson Meijer, where the last name comes from do not know since have not seen documents of her especially data about birth.
    Since many attachments in FamilySerach are messed up, not in right yeasr sequence it is hard to look.
    Have a great weekend, kind regards, Paul

Paul
    I noted on one Geni family tree that Betsy was also known as Betzig Betsi Simons. There is no explanation as to where this originated. Similarly,the last name Meijer refers to a bailiff/steward and suggests that this was an adopted name. It maybe that Betsy appears on the other marriage records of her children- I have not looked further.
    In summary, you may have to widen your last name search to include Simons born in London circa 1794.