Default Pre-1911 adoption, Basil F Froud/Sarbach

Good afternoon all,
    I am struggling to find details of Elizabeth Sarbach, I have a Basil Foster Froud born in 1898, he was adopted into the Froud family.
    So far I have found his birth certificate he is listed as Basil Foster Sarbach, his birth mother Elizabeth Sarbach registered as living at 18 Westwell road, Streatham.
    I have since found a baptism record for Elise R Sarbach also living at 18 Westwell road, Streatham in 1900 at the age of 23.
    His birth records show his address as 4 Chivalry Road, Battersea which is home for unmarried mothers run by the ladies association for friendless girls.

It seems she was born in 1877 or there about's, as I cant find a birth certificate for her I am going by the details on the census that I have found and her baptism records.
    Some records say she was born in Switzerland, which would match with the little family know about the situation.
    I am trying to find out where he went before he was adopted, we have no idea how he came to be with the Frouds and also where Elizabeth went. We have heard rumours he was in Barnardos, I have written to them to ask but nothing has come back as of yet.
    I have found a census in 1901 with her details on showing she was a servant in London and have searched for the family she was a servant with and they did move but she didn't move with them. By this time Basil was already living with the Frouds.

I seem to have hit a brick wall, the Frouds all originate and live in Egham Surrey for the duration of their lives.

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.

Just an observation on the record found for Elise Sarbach. It is a Confirmation record not a baptismal one.
    So if things were done according to the church she had been baptised at some stage and was now being confirmed by the church thereby strengthening her 'wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord.'
    Nothing else showing as yet but the surname could be mangled in many different ways.
    I wonder if the middle name Foster is a clue to his father's name.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you! You are right, I must have been looking for so long I missed looking at the details.
    I must say, throughout the research both of their names have been spelt wrong on lots of different forms which is making it difficult to keep track.
    I have found a Maria Eliza Sarbach who's father was born in Switzerland and she marries and later drops the Maria and goes by elizabeth, but I discounted them as they had a baptism record and i naively assumed they wouldn't have been baptised twice, however now I know it was a confirmation record perhaps not. I have checked the census details for their address and she does appear to be missing during the 1901 census so i suppose there could be a link there.
    I hope I am able to find out that her life turned out reasonably well, considering the research of the mother and baby homes does not paint a very nice picture.

Thank you again for your reply.

I also found Maria Eliza's details and like you have not yet found her in 1901. She goes on to marry William James McD Piesley in 1903. In the 1911 census he was born Richmond Surrey but there is no birth place for Maria. Her mother Georgina is living with them age 65 and says she was born Newfoundland USA! This is not getting any easier is it.
    Maria's parents Georgina and John moved to Richmond Surrey between her birth and baptism and the birth of her brother John in 1880. Not that big a move, approximately 12 miles.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

On the 1901 census there is an Elsie R Sarbach age 25, domestic servant living with the Thrift family in Norwood Lambeth.
    The writing is terrible and I would never have read the original as Thrift so just maybe The Elsie should be Eliza/Elise or whatever she was calling herself. Oh and she says she was born Switzerland!
    RG13 piece 436 folio 81 page 46

Christina
    William Burroughs

Famous for offering help & advice

1901 census has

John Sartach born Switzerland
    Georgina Sartach born Newfoundland

John Sartach 21

Robert Sartach 12

Dorathy Sartach 18

William ***Presley*** 24 Boarder Horse Grooom.looks like Piesley on the image. Is this the William that Marie Elizabeth married?

Transcribed on FMP as Piesley.

18, Princes Road, Richmond, Richmond upon Thames, Surrey, England

This is possible for Marie Elizabeth in 1901.

****Marcin Sarback**** c1878 London Servant

RG13

ED, 01
    Piece 674
    Folio 10
    Page number 12
    Household schedule number 63

The Terrace House, Richmond Hill, Richmond, Richmond upon Thames, Surrey, England

FMP is transcribes as Marion Sarbach.

Isn't this her birth registration?

SARBACH,MARIA ELIZA mmn RANDLE GRO Reference: 1878 M Quarter in STRAND Volume 01B Page 667

20 Jun 1875, St Mark Old Street, Shoreditch
    John Sarbach aged 28 Waiter of St Mark Old Street. Father: John, a labourer
    Georgina Randle aged 23 of St Mark Old Street. Father: John, a Wheelwright
    Wits: John Dicker & Maria Jane Dicker

1881 Clothes Shop, 36, St Peters Street, Islington
    John Dicker 36 Stoker b Exeter, Devon
    Maria Jane Dicker 34 wife b North America
    John Alfred Dicker 6 son b Mortlake, Surrey

John Dicker m Maria Jane Randall 18 Sep 1870. Georgina Randle was one of the witnesses

So Georgina Sarbach & Maria Jane Dicker were sisters, nee Randle.